A healthy functioning of brain needs a healthy eyesight. Therefore, considering that your optic nerve connects your eyes and your brain, a healthy co-dependent relationship is necessary. Further, your eyesight is one of your most important senses. Because, 80% of what we perceive comes through our sense of sight. And, by protecting your eyes, you will reduce the odds of blindness and vision loss while minimizing the chances of eye diseases such as cataract and glaucoma. A regular eye exam is the best way to care for your eyesight. According to The National Eye Institute (NEI), an eye exam can catch potential issues right away and aid in maintaining eye and vision health. And, for any severe eye issue, you must reach out to the best eye hospital in Hyderabad.
Taking good care of your eyes may benefit your overall health. People with vision disorders are more likely to have diabetes, poor hearing, and heart related problems. Also, high blood pressure, lower back pain and stroke, as well as increased risk for falls, injury and depression. So, basically, good eye health is crucial for the healthy functioning of the body.
Can You Improve Your Eyesight Naturally?
One of the best methods to take care of your eyes is to take care of the rest of your body. By making healthy choices with regard to diet, sleep patterns, exercise, and practicing good hygiene, you can keep your body and eyes in good shape.
There are Few Things You Can do to Naturally Improve Your Eye Health and Vision:-
- You must eat a balanced and healthy diet that is rich in antioxidants and vitamin A. For example, leafy vegetables, carrots, and fish, etc. can help in maintaining eye health. A nutritious diet can play a vital role to enhance vision and slow down age-related vision loss.
- You must get enough sleep. Due to over exhaustion, your eyes can be easily strained and become dry. If you have wondered what causes red eyes, then, you must know that dryness is also one of the causes of red eyes. So, protect your eyes from getting dried up by going for a healthy amount of sleep. This will also help to improve eye vision.
- You must indulge in regular exercise. This is important because physical fitness can improve the circulation of your blood and oxygen flow to your eyes. This can further help to decrease dryness of the eyes.
- You must shield your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun. When stepping out, you must wear sunglasses with UV protection. This will protect your eyes from prolonged exposure to the sun. Also, you must wear eye protection when doing anything that could potentially lead to eye injury.
- You need to compulsorily take breaks from screen time. According to the American Optometric Association (AOA), if you spend a lot of time looking at a screen of a computer or smartphone, you must take a break. And, look 20 feet away every 20 to 25 minutes for 20 seconds at a time. Doing so will certainly help prevent digital eye strain. Thus, help in controlling eye fatigue, headaches, neck tension, and decreased vision.
- You must quit smoking because smoking can increase the risk for many physical health issues. This includes optic nerve damage, macular degeneration related to age, and cataracts. And, all of these can negatively impact your eye vision. So, it’s better to quit smoking.
- You must adopt a habit to practice good hygiene. Do not forget to wash your hands and face thoroughly and regularly. If you wear contact lenses, clean and store them properly, and keep cosmetics and chemicals out of the eyes.
What is the Best Food for Eye Health?
Doctors advise that good eye health starts with the right food on your plate. Some nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E might help to minimize the risk of age-related vision problems like macular degeneration and cataracts.
If you are worried about how to improve eye health, you may consume food such as:-
- Lots of green and leafy vegetables like spinach, kale
- Salmon, tuna, other kinds of fish, and oysters, pork
- Beans, eggs, nuts, and other nonmeat sources of protein
- Citrus fruits, for example, oranges and their juices
You must note that a well-balanced diet lowers your odds of obesity and related diseases like type 2 diabetes, which is the leading cause of blindness in adults. Thus, help maintain eye health.
Most people believe that failing eyesight is an inevitable result of aging or eye strain. However, a healthy lifestyle can significantly minimize the risk of eye related health problems. So, one of the easiest ways to maintain and improve eye health is to take necessary precautions and follow the essential steps to attain the sound health of your eyes.