Do you know why they call it ‘shouldering a responsibility’?
That’s because your shoulders are one of the most important joints in your body as they play a big role in not just carrying around the weight of your bags, but also allow you to do a lot of activities, you throw, pick, push, pull, catch, hit.
This wide range of actions is supported by your shoulder joints which is the most mobile joints in your body. It can turn and twist in many directions. Maybe that is one reason why your shoulder get dislocated very easily. Generally, shoulder dislocation can happen if you’ve had a fall or an injury, but in most of the cases, this resolves on its own. Sometimes, the dislocation can happen to a great extent which would require surgeries and replacement option. So here are few ways to fix your dislocated shoulders.
What Is Dislocation Of The Shoulder?
If you have a dislocated shoulder it means that the upper arm bone is removed from its socket partially or completely. When this happens the shoulder joints become unstable and prone to more dislocations.
Basically, your shoulder can dislocate forward, backward, downward, and completely or partially.
There are three degrees in it
- Anterior dislocation
- Posterior dislocation
- Inferior dislocation
What Are The Causes?
Your shoulder is the most frequently dislocated joint in the body. A lot of force has to be put on the shoulders for a sudden blow to pull out the bones from its place. Extreme rotation of your shoulders can make the ball pop out of the shoulder socket. Shoulder dislocation can be caused due to:
Sports injury: If you are a person who plays contact sports like football, hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, skiing, and etc then there are greater possibilities.
Trauma: There can also be trauma related to sports as well as vehicle accidents which could have been a hard blow to your shoulders.
Falls: The falls can be from a ladder fall to tripping on a loose rug.
What Are The Symptoms?
- Deformity in your shoulder
- Swelling and bruising
- Acute pain in the shoulder
- Immobility of joints
Shoulder dislocation can lead to tearing of muscles, ligaments and tendons also it can cause nerve or blood vessel damage.
What Are The Treatment For Dislocated Shoulder?
Dislocated shoulder treatments involve:
- Closed reduction: Your doctor may try maneuvers to put back the bones in right place. If there are swelling and pain, he or she may recommend sedatives or muscle relaxants. Once the shoulder bones are put in place again, then the severe pain will drastically come down.
- Surgery: This is recommended if you have recurring shoulder dislocation due to weak shoulder joint and ligaments. Only if strengthening and Rehabilitation do not work, surgery is needed. In rare cases of nerve and blood damage, you may need a surgery.
- Immobilization: You may be provided with special splint or sling to keep your shoulder immobile for a few days. Depending on the nature of your shoulder dislocation determines the number of days you should wear the splint.
- Medication: Pain reliever or muscle relaxants are prescribed for you to keep your shoulder comfortable till it heals.
- Rehabilitation: Once the use of the splint is stopped then you will be put under rehabilitation program to restore the range of motion to strengthen and stable your shoulder joint.
Shoulder dislocation will require a surgery only if the nonsurgical procedure fails. Some of the surgical procedures are
- Bankart repair
- Bone grafting
- Capsular shift
- Remplissage procedure
- Shoulder replacement
In most of the cases, dislocated shoulder joints do not require a surgery. If your pain gets intense and the shoulder instability is still persistent and do not resolve with a nonsurgical procedure, you can always reach out to a surgeon at Sri Sri Holistic Hospital who can fix all your problems associated with dislocated shoulder joints.
About The Doctor:
Dr. Venkat Ram Prasad Vallamshetla – Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Venkat Ram Prasad Vallamshetla is one of the Best Orthopedic Surgeon in Hyderabad. He has done his MBBS, MS Ortho (OSM), MRCS (Edin) and FRCS (Trauma & Orth) from Edinburgh. He has additionally undergone training and has worked in Birmingham for over 12 years with a specialization in Joint Replacement, Arthroscopic Surgery, Sports Injuries.
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL:
Sri Sri Holistic Hospital is a leading 100 bedded Multi Specialty Hospital in Nizampet, Kukatpally, Hyderabad. Sri Sri Holistic Hospital provides high standards of Health Care with a combination of Advanced Technology and state of art clinical expertise. With more than 52 Internationally Experienced Doctors and 400 staff, we served at least 50,000 patients so far.