Life has become so easy that everything is on your fingertips, all we do is single or double tap the screen and the work is done. However, to see all things around us we need our eyes.
Do you know the fact that when we see something, half of our brain is involved to help us see. And nowadays due to excessive exposure to computer or phones and of course less nutrition, it has become quite common that there are a lot of people having refractive disorders.
Do you get headaches while reading a book? This can be due to some refractive error. The thing is that headaches are not even felt by our brains. Headaches have a many varieties and the causes for each are different.
Let’s get to know about how refractive errors leads to headaches.
Before that lets see some of the common refractive disorders.
What are refractive Errors?
Eyes are considered to be the most sensitive part of our body. Even a speck of dust would hurt. There are times when we don’t really know the reason for an impaired vision.
Often it so happens, that there are errors in our eyes. Refractive error happens when the shape of your eyes does not bend light entering into it correctly, that causes blurred vision.
Types of refractive Errors
The main types of refractive errors are:
- Myopia (nearsightedness): it is a condition where the closer objects appear clearly, while the far away objects appear blurry. In, the light entering the eyes gets focussed in front of the retina instead of on the retina.
- Hyperopia (farsightedness): it is an error where distant objects appear clearly than objects that are near. It differs to different people. Some people may not have any problems with their vision, specifically when they are young. Whereas for some people the vision can be blurry for objects at any distance, say it near or far.
- Astigmatism: it is the condition where the eye does not focus light evenly on the retina. Thus the images appear blurry and distorted at all distances.
- Presbyopia: it is an age-related condition, where the ability to focus the objects nearby becomes more difficult. Due to aging, the lens in the eyes can no longer change shape and allow the eye to focus nearby objects clearly.
- Amblyopia chances: it is called lazy eyes, it is a disorder when the eye and brain does not work well together. It is the common cause of decreased vision in a single eye.
Symptoms For Refractive Errors
The symptoms for refractive errors include:
What Is A Headache?
Headaches are the constant aching or pressure that is been felt on both sides of the head or at the back of the neck and head.one of the common reason for headaches are refractive errors.
When we see something we strain our eyes a lot by making it to focus, by doing so we are exerting pressure, this often gives rise to headaches. It is one of the most common symptom in all the refractive errors.
What causes a headache related to the eye?
Following are the conditions related to the eye which may cause a headache:
- Convergence insufficiency: Difficulty in converging both eyes simultaneously to focus while reading.
- Accommodative insufficiency: Difficulty in focusing one eye while reading.
- Strabismus: Any problem with alignment of the eyes.
- Refractive errors
- Increased intracranial pressure.
- Focussing problems.
How Can These Headaches Be Treated? Is Refractive Surgery a better option?
When it comes to refractive errors, these are treated by wearing the suitable glasses according to it.
Refractive error can be treated with refractive surgery, which is a method for correcting or improving your vision. It involves various surgical procedures for correcting or adjusting your eye’s focusing ability.
By implanting a lens in your eyes these errors can be treated.
The most trending error correction is the refractive surgery called LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis), where a laser is used to reshape the cornea.
Basically a headache is a symptom related to a problem. If you get headaches that have unknown reasons that should be consulted with a doctor. If your child complains of headache this could be because of refractive errors that we are unaware of.
So if you think you also have headaches when it is related with your vision, visit us at Sri Sri Hospitals and our expert ophthalmologists can help you always.
About The Hospital
Sri Sri Holistic Hospital is a leading 100 bedded Multi Specialty Hospital in Nizampet, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, one of the Best Heart Hospital in Hyderabad. Sri Sri Holistic Hospital provides high standards of healthcare with a combination of Advanced Technology and state of art clinical expertise. With more than 52 Internationally Experienced Doctors and 400+ staff, we served at least 50,000 patients so far.