Epilepsy is a central nervous system disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal. It causes seizures or periods of unusual behavior. Also, leads to sensations and sometimes loss of awareness. Anyone can develop epilepsy and it affects both males and females of all races, ethnic backgrounds and ages.
It is possible that some people with epilepsy simply stare blankly for a few seconds during a seizure, while others repeatedly twitch their arms or legs. Although having a single seizure doesn’t mean you have epilepsy. At least two seizures without a known trigger that occur at least 24 hours apart are generally required for an epilepsy diagnosis.
According to some of the best neurologist doctor in Hyderabad, in some cases of epilepsy people require lifelong treatment to control seizures. But, for others, the seizures eventually go away.
For treatment, you must reach out to the best neurology hospital in Hyderabad.
Epilepsy Or Fits Attack Symptoms
Epilepsy is caused by abnormal activity in the brain. And seizures can affect any process your brain coordinates. Symptoms vary depending on the type of seizure. Mostly person with epilepsy will tend to have the same type of seizure each time.
Seizure signs and symptoms may include: –
- Temporary confusion
- Stiff muscles
- Uncontrollable movements of the arms and legs
- Loss of consciousness
- Psychological symptoms such as fear, anxiety
Types Of Seizures
There are different types of seizures. And each one of these causes different physical and behavioral changes. Not all seizures are due to epilepsy. Some people might have only one seizure in their lifetime.
Seizures are classified based on the parts of the brain involved. For example, Focal seizures occur when abnormal electrical activity starts in one area of the brain. This used to be called a partial seizure. However, generalized seizures start in both sides of the brain. A focal seizure can become generalized if it spreads.
These types of seizures are common and occur on one side of the brain. Approximately 60 percent of people with epilepsy have focal seizures.
- Focal Aware Seizures
- Focal Impaired Awareness Seizure
- Focal To Bilateral Tonic-Clonic Seizures
- Gelastic And Dacrystic Seizure
Types of Generalized Seizures
There are many kinds of generalized seizures, including:
- Generalized Tonic-Clonic Seizures (GTC)
- Tonic Seizures
- Clonic Seizures
- Absence Seizures
- Myoclonic Seizures
- Atonic Seizures
- Infantile Or Epileptic Spasms
Generally speaking, epilepsy has no identifiable cause. However, the condition may be traced to various factors, such as:-
- Genetic Influence – According to the medical experts, some types of epilepsy run in families. In these cases, it’s likely that there’s a genetic influence. Certain genes may make a person more sensitive to environmental conditions. This can trigger seizures.
- Head Trauma – Head trauma due to accident or other types of injury can also be a reason for epilepsy.
- Brain Abnormalities– Some of the abnormalities in the brain such as arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and cavernous malformations, can cause epilepsy.
- Infections – Some of the infections such as viral encephalitis, parasitic infections, etc. can cause epilepsy.
- Prenatal Injury – Before birth, babies are sensitive to brain damage. Hence, brain damage can result in epilepsy or cerebral palsy.
- Developmental Disorders – Epilepsy may also be associated with developmental disorders, such as autism.
Some of the techniques that are used for Epilepsy diagnosis are mentioned below: –
Electroencephalogram (EEG) – This is the most common test. To perform the test, your doctor places sensors on your scalp that record electrical activity in your brain. The changes in your normal brain wave pattern is a symptom.
Computerized Tomography (CT) Scan – This type of test uses X-rays to create images of your brain. It can help your doctor rule out other seizure causes. For example, tumors, bleeding, and cysts.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – It helps to see the structure of your brain and may show damaged tissue that leads to seizures. During the test, you will be made to lie on a table inside the MRI machine, which is like a tunnel, and the scanner takes pictures of the inside of your head.
Treatment can help most people with epilepsy having fewer seizures. Or, might even stop seizures completely. However, you may not need any treatment if you know your seizure triggers and are able to avoid them.
Some of the best epilepsy treatment in Hyderabad include:
- Consumption of medicines called anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs)
- Surgery to remove a small part of the brain that’s causing the seizures
- A medical procedure to put a small electrical device inside the body that can help control seizures
- Intake of a special diet can help control seizures
You may not need any treatment if you know your seizure triggers and are able to avoid them.
How To Prevent Epilepsy?
Here are some tips that may help reduce your risk of having an epilepsy seizure: –
- You must get plenty of sleep each night
- You must learn stress management and relaxation techniques.
- You must avoid drugs and alcohol.
- You must take all your medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- You need to avoid bright, flashing lights and other visual stimuli.
- You must eat a healthy diet.
According to the doctors, uncontrolled or prolonged seizures can lead to brain damage. Epilepsy also raises the risk of sudden unexplained death. However, it can be successfully managed and controlled with medication.
If you have faced the symptoms of epilepsy, you must reach out to a well-known Neuro Specialist near you.