Ever had continuous severe pains in the back or on the side of your body? It might be a kidney stone at work. Before it gets too playful in the body, getting it checked and treated is the first priority. Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals and salts that form inside the kidneys. Stones can have many causes and can hamper any part of the urinary tract causing severe pain or damage if not treated in a specific manner. The trick to cure kidney stones is dependant on how early it is recognised and treated. The more the stone is inside the body, the more it tends to grow eventually causing quite a lot of damage, permanent or temporary, in the body of the person. Types of Kidney Stones:
- Calcium Stones: Kidney stones are usually calcium stones, mainly in the form of calcium oxalate. Oxalate is found in most of the food we eat and also is produced by the liver on a daily basis.
- Struvite Stones: Struvite stones are usually formed as a byproduct from a particular infection, mainly Urinary Tract Infection or UTI. These stones grow quickly and can become comparatively larger than other types of stones.
- Uric Acid Stones: These type of stones are usually formed in people who do not drink enough fluids or even who lose enough fluids, those who eat a high protein diet and also people who have gout. Genetic factors also increase chances of Uric acid stones.
- Cystine Stones: These stones form in people usually with a hereditary disorder that causes the kidneys to excrete increased amount of a certain amino acid(cystinuria).
The list of symptoms for Kidney Stones are as follows: Kidney stones and its formation has quite a large number of symptoms present which indicates its presence. Many of us don’t feel the signs are important or worth taking a look at as we regard it as normal body pains or not something out of the blue.
- Severe pain in the back, beneath the ribs
- Pain that circles to the lower abdomen
- Pain during Urinating
- Pink, red or brown urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Urinating more than usual
- Urinating in small amounts
These are the most common symptoms of Kidney stones which we think is nothing important most of the time and think that there are other reasons for the pain but it might actually be due to a formation of a kidney stone in the body. Causes of Kidney Stones: The causes of kidney stones can be varied and can often be confused with one another. It is the most common things we see or feel in our daily lives which can often give rise to something as big as a kidney stone. Few causes of Kidney Stones are:
- Family History – Any history of immediate family members having kidney stones increases the chances of developing a kidney stone in a child.
- Dehydration – Drinking limited or less amount of water can increase the risk of kidney stones. Hence staying hydrated in dry cities or dry climate is very important.
- Obesity – High Body Mass Index, higher weight or larger waist size can increase the risks of kidney stones.
- Certain Diets and Diseases: High Protein diets can increase the risk of some type of kidney stones to a great extent specially diets which are high in sodium content. Apart from diet, people who have had suffered from different diseases or surgeries can cause certain changes in the digestion process which might change the absorption of calcium and water increasing the risk of formation of a kidney stone.
Cure the Stones: All kinds of kidney stones are curable. The cure differs from person to person and also the stage of detection. Cures for early detection is different from cures of advanced stages. Basic Cures for Small Stones:
- Drinking Water
- Medical Treatments/Therapy
Cures for Larger Stones:
- Using shock Waves to break the stones – Extracorporeal shockwave Lithotripsy is the procedure where the doctor uses strong shock waves to break the stone externally. This procedure lasts about 45-60 min
- PCCL done for bladder calculus
- URSL done for ureteric calculus
- PCNL done for large renal calculus
- RIRS done for small renal calculus
All in all, kidney stones can be eradicated but with no guarantee that they would not form again. Hence post the kidney stones are cured, one has to take extra care and take precautions so as it not allow kidney stones to grow again.
About the Doctor:
Dr Bharghav Reddy MBBS MS DNB (urology) Consultant Urologist and Andrologist
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MBBS DNB MCh (Urology) Consultant Urologist and Andrologist
About the Hospital: Sri Sri Holistic Hospital is a leading 100 bedded multi specialty hospital in Nizampet, Kukatpally, Hyderabad. Sri Sri Holistic Hospital provides high standards of healthcare with a combination of advanced technology and state of art clinical expertise. With more than 52 Internationally experienced doctors and 400+ staff, we served at least 50,000 patients so far.